WHATS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?
- Cadeaux - translates to “Gift” or “Present” (french)
- Gold - object of value, wisdom of age, hedonism (biblical)
- Blush - makeup mimicking the unconscious signifier of arousal (science)
- Heels - weakness, impaired flight response (~17th c - modern debate)
- Fur prints - primality, instinct, eroticism (modern?)
- Rabbits - token symbol of fertility, playful sexuality, innocence, prey (pre-medieval origins)
- Bed - sleeping, sex
You have a 10-year old model (Thylane Blondeau) wearing a neckline open to her waist, her face sculpted into puberty with makeup, looking expectant on a bed surrounded by sexual symbols. (Ye be warned: The other shots from the shoot can be found here - I paused on a particularly revolting one of a girl with a toothbrush jammed into her mouth.)
What’s important to know here is people get paid to put this shit together, to think through the symbols and images they’re broadcasting and have them come together cohesively for the shoot. This was not an accident. Ironically, this was supposedly meant to highlight the fact that the fashion industry does this every day and no-one notices - I can really see how creating a conglomerate of fucked up pedophilic imagery and sending it out in thousands of magazines would really help stop the growing trend of fucked up pedophilic imagery being placed in mainstream media.